A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | R | S | T | V | Z |

Landfill sites
Household waste is put into large holes in the ground called landfill sites where it gets buried. The UK is running out of landfill space so alternative ways of dealing with our rubbish must be used. We must all try and reduce the amounts of waste that we produce and recycle rubbish where possible.

Incandescent/traditional luminaries, halogen and filament bulbs can be put into general waste. Fluorescent tubes, CFL`s (energy saving), HID (metal halide), LED`s and neon bulbs all require recycling. Ask attendants at Household Waste Recycling Centres for advice / direction on correct container to put them in. Try switching to low energy alternatives which save you money in the long term and create less waste.

Loft Insulation
Reasonable amounts of loft insulation are accepted at Household Waste Recycling Centres. NB:- Insulation must be bagged and sealed to prevent loose fibres escaping prior to arriving at the site. For guidance please telephone the helpline 0300 003 1118

If you have a question about resources or recycling in Cumbria call our helpline on  0300 003 1118
or email us at  wastepermits@cumbria.gov.uk